Recently, some manufacturers who are new to moissanite have asked us about the specific Moissanite production process. Before we discuss how to make moissanite, it is best to learn about Moissanite first.
What is a Moissanite
Moissanite, chemically known as synthetic silicon carbide, is a combination of two minerals, carbon and silicon, cultivated to produce a diamond. Its appearance is similar to that of diamond, and it is often used as a substitute for diamond. It is also the gemstone with the closest physical characteristics to natural diamonds.
The difference between Moissanite and Diamonds
1. The value: a carat of Moissanite sold for only one-tenth of the price of ordinary diamonds.
2. Open source: Moissanite is a synthetic simulation-style diamond, which can be obtained in the laboratory through a series of tests. While ordinary diamonds need to go through a series of processes such as exploration of diamond sites, diamond development, screening, cutting, polishing, and identification by professional institutions
3. Diamond dire: moissanite dispersion is stronger than the diamond, in the same cut conditions, you can see moissanite color flicker significantly better than the diamond. tested under the professional instrument, moissanite fire is 2.5 times stronger than the diamond. In the firelight, the diamond is 0.044, moissanite is 0.104; and most of the cut moissanite prism is more rounded, which is completely different from the diamond with a sharp prism
4. Refractive index: diamond is 2.42, moissanite is 2.65, that is, moissanite fire and refractive index are more than the diamond.
5. Specific gravity: the specific gravity of the diamond is 3.52, while the specific gravity of moissanite is only 3.22
6. Hardness: The hardness of a diamond is 10, while the hardness of moissanite is 9.25. Although moissanite is a little bit inferior in value, it is enough to be preserved permanently and not easily scratched.
7. Cutting: most of the cut moissanite prongs are more rounded, the diamond is very sharp.
8. Conductivity: 80% of moissanite is an electrical conductor (natural diamonds only blue, blue-gray type IIb diamonds can conduct electricity, common white/light yellow are not conductive), so the conductivity meter can be used to identify.
Grades of Moissanite
The value of moissanite is calculated by its purity, which can be divided into 6 grades.
1. Completely pure grade FL: which may have very small internal dots that do not affect perspective.
2. Internal clean grade IF: no internal flaws and slight surface flaws.
3. Very very slight internal blemish grade: VVS1 or VVS2 generally some dots.
4. Very slight flaw level: can see the size and location, hair-like.
5. Lightly flawed level: can clearly see the flaws.
6. Unclean grade: you can obviously see the flaws such as deconstruction and cleavage.
*Moissanite quality is calculated in carat (ct), 1 carat = 0.2 gram
The production process of Moissanite
1. Cutting: in order to get a better fire, the cut of moissanite is not eight hearts and eight arrows, but the best Belgian cut, also known as Belgian work.
2. Cleaning: first use hydrogen peroxide dilution cleaning, water temperature above 80 degrees, use pure water, the container is best to use glassware, soak for about 1 hour, then use anhydrous alcohol soaking 12 hours, ultrasonic pure water cleaning for half an hour, again use anhydrous alcohol cleaning, then using ultrasonic pure water cleaning.
3. Drying: blast drying oven 120 degrees drying for two hours.
4. Sintering: atmosphere furnace vacuum to 0.08, filled with high purity argon to positive pressure, vacuum again to 0.08, again filled with argon.
Moissanite sintering equipment
Purpose of sintering: To improve the finish and brightness of the moissanite. When the electric atmosphere furnace is sintered to about 1300 degrees, some impurities will be refined out and the whole moissanite will become more translucent.
Professional Moissanite sintering furnace
Advantages of our Moissanite sintering furnace
Our electric Moissanite sintering furnace chamber is super clean, the furnace temperature uniformity is excellent, and the sealing is very good. Therefore, the Moissanite has high brightness, good transparency, no contaminants on the surface, no fog-like surface, and has soft reflected light on the surface.
Moissanite produced by using our sintering furnace.
We have a professional engineer who is good at moissanite heating, we can provide a complete process technology, to ensure that the sintering of the perfect moissanite.
If you have any questions, please contact us.
Follow us on Facebook